Monday, October 8, 2012

Team Edfu

Today's the day we drive 2 hours out to Edfu and find our home for the next few months! So I thought I should introduce you to some of the people I'm with (hopefully none of them kill me for the photos I chose)!

Lindsey:
This is Lindsey (my fellow cat lady). I've known her since our first quarter of hieroglyphs together, way back in 2005. We immediately formed a study group and friendship. She's an archaeology student, so she gets to do all the dirty digging and find cool things. You'll remember her from last year, and if you're my facebook friend, you'll see I was a bridesmaid for her wedding this summer!

Jonathan:
Jonathan is my partner in crime in everything. We've co-taught a class together already and now we get to do the block yard together. I just love working with him (and I hope the feeling is mutual). He's super smart (smarter than me when it comes to language, so I'm glad he's here to help with translations) and lots of fun. He's only with us for half of the season (insert frowning face here), so we'll hustle to get as much done as we can.

Tasha:
My fornana (Arabic for "boss"). She's been the ceramicist for Edfu for several years now and is doing her dissertation on the NK pottery there. I like working for/with her because she lets me be a goofball and taught me everything I know about pottery. She's also usually my roommate, so we are pretty much inseparable (whether we want to be or not) while in Egypt. Plus, she's the one that gave me my dissertation idea last year... wait, maybe I shouldn't be happy about that?

Kat:

Kat's joining us later in the season this year, but she's in charge of what we call "small finds". Basically, that's anything that isn't pottery. So seal impressions, figures, scarabs, grinders, etc, she catalogs them all and stores them in our magazine at El Kab. Her dissertation is on the ostraca of Edfu, and she also got married this summer.



These are the only UofC students coming this year, but we'll also be joined by another ceramicist from Australia, a student (or two) coming to study the ancient bugs, Valerie (who was here last year) to study the OK pottery, and a few others. It should be a good team, but it might be a bit hectic with tons of people coming and going all the time. Let's see who I can drive nuts first!