Monday, October 29, 2012

Sun and Shadow

It was back to work today. I spent all day working on sun and shadow lines on our epigraphy. There's a lot you can learn just from the published drawing, and Chicago House reminded us of a big one: telling if it's raised or sunk relief. We do this by pretending the sun is always in the upper left corner and marking if a line forms a shadow or is fully in the sun. The straight lines are easy, but if it curves at all you have to whip out a 45* angle and figure out where a sun line turns to a shadow line and vice versa. In the end, your pretty drawing is full of little notes, like this one I showed you earlier:

All the green marks are sun and shadow notations.
I got all but 3 done, so I'll finish that up tomorrow and keep working on drawing our Saite blocks. Jon stayed home sick today, so it's a good thing I had other forms of supervision:

Patches was really only looking for more food. Once she found I wasn't going to give her another handful of food, even after she put on all of her cuddling charm, she left me.