Saturday, October 13, 2012

So Many Blocks


(PS- If you checked yesterday’s post before 9:30am yesterday, check it again, b/c I added a photo).

Today was extremely productive for the block yard. Jonathan and I were able to get all 300 blocks into the database on our field iPad (yep, we get an iPad!). We took pictures of everything and now we’re going around measuring everything. We’ll finish that tomorrow, and then we can start epigraphy! I’m extremely glad that I brought the knee pads- they make the up and down, crawling over things and kneeling on top of stones much easier. Even though I’ve only used them for a day, they were well worth the $15 I spent on them. I tried to take a picture of how beautiful archaeology makes you, but I couldn’t figure out how to get it off of the iPad, so I’ll have to try it again tomorrow.

Today was also the first day that we stayed late. Typically, work starts at 6am, then we end at 1:30pm and are done for the day (at least on site; later in the season people will do work on their laptops at home). The pottery people, however (and now us block yarders) will start staying until 4pm. There’s just too much to do to go home early, alas. So instead of napping like everyone else, we’re still working.

One of the best parts of our day was that our inspector (who is the wife of our awesome inspector from last year) made us homemade bassbussa! Bassbussa is a confection made basically of small pieces of coconut held together with honey and sugar, then baked. Now, my dear husband is currently saying, “But you hate coconut!” And he’s not wrong- I do hate coconut. But there’s something about the coconut in bassbussa that is just tasty! Lindsey and I are going to a fabulous bakery in Cairo at the end of the season, so I may have to see if I can get some to bring home for Dan. It will be payment for him taking care of the house while I’m gone. :)