Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Second Verse, Same As The First


There’s not very much to report from today, since I mainly did a repeat of yesterday. We took pictures from 6-7:30am, then we moved on to epigraphy. My drawings are getting better, but I’m still only doing easy ones. I got to do one of my favorite blocks today- a limestone piece that is really intricately carved. The “m” owl bird even had little claws on his feet. Around 12:40, I decided that the light was getting too bad to really see anything, so I moved over to do more statistics on my bread moulds until lunch at 1:30. After eating, I finished up the stats.

Here’s Jonathan working on the Psamtek block that took him pretty much all day (not because he’s bad, but because the signs were pretty intricate and there’s a whole other inscription on the other face). It’s actually a pretty interesting block, as it talks about campaigns into Syria.




The one new thing that happened was that they started digging the foundation trenches for our benches today. There will be 4 benches in all, with smaller “showcase” benches on either side of each one. The first bench will have 2 tiers so we can showcase twice as many blocks.



In other news, Lindsey clocked today at 106*F. Add that to spending all day in the sun with only a few shade breaks and you can see why we were all a little loopy today. This was probably the hottest day so far, but thankfully, I think we’re now on a downward trend. Apparently, it will only be about 95* this time next week and we’re all very thankful for that. It’s hard to sleep when it’s 93* in your room during the night. Tasha and I have a ceiling fan in our room, but there’s only so much it can do. At least we have one, though! Poor Lindsey got relegated to the kitchen where there’s only 1 tiny window and the boys have no ceiling fan either. But don’t worry, we’re going through water like it’s, well, water.