Friday, October 5, 2012

Speaking of Packed Bags...

My dear friend Kate is amazingly brilliant and got a Fulbright to study in Taiwan for a year. She's also doing a blog and one of her early posts made me realize that I never really told you about that dreaded thing known as packing! I mean, I gave you a glimpse about how hard it was going to be last year, but didn't tell you how I rectified it. I'm sure you've wondered about it, since we've all taken vacations where we agonized over what we'd need, how much room the suitcase had, and whether or not we had room for just one more shirt (just in case!). But those vacations are typically only for a week or so.

Imagine trying to pack for 2 months. In one checked suitcase. For a 3rd world country. Where you will be wearing at least 2 totally different outfits a day. And you have to bring along work gear. Now sure, I've changed my list a bit from last year, but that doesn't mean I've pared down; I'm not bringing as many work shirts, but I'm also packing more food to make life there bearable. It's a trade-off. I also like bringing a lot of my own toiletries and medicines, even though you can get stuff in Egypt (an easy way to save on luggage is to buy these things in country as you need them, but for two months, I want MY shampoo and medicines I know and trust). Needless to say, the packing list ends up being... long. How long? This long (with helpful notes):



For Site
- tents, printer, ink and epigraphy pens (this is the group work gear I'm in charge of bringing)
- work shirts x4
- work pants x3
- underwear (old/cheap stuff- it never really gets clean since we wash by hand and can be thrown away at the end of the season or your vacation)
- site backpack
- long sleeve shirt/sweater
- good sunglasses
- contacts
- socks
- head coverings (not required, but it's nice to have something that will keep the dirt and sun away from the hair- wait til you see the fun ones I have for this year!)
- sunscreen
- knee pads (I'll be kneeling a lot to do epigraphy, so between the Alieve and knee pads, I'm hoping to save my body a *little* discomfort)
- chapstick
- tennis shoes
- belt
- water flavor (seriously, drinking 1/2 gallon of water daily gets... old)
- watch
- notebook
- fake wedding ring (both for security reasons, and because I don't want to get my ring all gross)

For the House
- sleeping bag (it gets cold at night!)
- travel pillow
- ear plugs (4am call to prayer: enough said)
- blow-up camping mat (Best. Thing. Ever. Folds up fairly small, then inflates to form a nice mat that is a million times more comfortable than the sackful of rags that literally is our mattress)
- sleeping mask
- travel alarm clock (with batteries removed so buttons don't get pressed in the bag)
- extra earrings
- peanut butter x2 (breakfast of champions and they don't really have that over there)
- nutella
- flip flops
- Keens
- glasses
- glasses cleaning cloth
- PJs
- shampoo and conditioner
- soap
- deodorant (lots, since we put it on at least twice a day)
- toothpaste and brush
- hairbrush
- hair ties/clips
- qtips
- razor and blades
- vitamins (lifesavers! seriously, always take them when traveling)
- clothes for after work
- some nice clothes for while we’re at Chicago House
- Halloween costume (this is a must!)
- swim suit (the Luxor hotels many times have pools and it's nice to lay out during days off)
- kindle
- ipod
- good lotion
- pain killers/medicines of choice (I come prepared: Alieve for my back, melatonin to help me sleep, laxatives and antidiarrheal [seriously, bring both], Tums, and my personal favorite: chewable pepto tablets [I end up taking these almost daily to just keep everything happy])
- camera
- computer
- laptop cooler
- passport
- money
- flash drives for backups

I told you it was a lot of stuff! And this doesn't count the drawing supplies that I left there last year, nor the alcohol I'm required to pick up at duty-free.

To pack all of this into 1 checked bag and 2 carry-ons, I am glad that my father is a packing savant and some of that rubbed off on me (along with a massive amount of Tetris-playing as a child). Basically, I start very early and re-pack several times. Ask Dan: I had the suitcase out in early September this year, which is actually later than last year. The worst part is the crushing feeling when everything finally fits... and it's 4 pounds over the weight limit (this is why you always leave a bit of room in your carry-on, just in case). With a little luck and a lot of careful planning, you really can get all of this (plus computer):



Into this:
The clothes there are what I'm wearing on the plane.