Saturday, October 6, 2012

Luxor Plans

(Note: this post was set up to post automatically in case I wasn't able to check in yet.)

Provided everything went according to plan (I promise I'll check in ASAP if I haven't already), I should be in Luxor today after getting in very late (landing at midnight Egypt-time, then getting bags and getting to the hotel). So needless to say, we're probably sleeping in after 27 hrs of travel.

Once we're up and about, we'll probably hit some shopping and errands in Luxor. Lindsey, Tasha, Jonathan and I left for Egypt early b/c we'll need to do some things in the "big city" before heading out to Edfu, like:
  •  Get visa extensions (the visas we got upon entering the country are only good for stays of less than 6 weeks)
  • Get cell phone credits. There are no cell phone plans here; you buy a phone and then pre-paid credits.
  • Show Jonathan around Luxor. He's been to Egypt before, but hasn't seen our favorite haunts.
  • Snack Time. Look at that post and tell me if I need to say more.
  • Stock up on last-minute food supplies from the hole-in-the-wall British imports shop.
  • Eat at the British cafe, the Italian place, or McDonald's (or, more likely, all 3!). Yes, I know we're in Egypt, but YOU eat Egyptian food and then come talk to me. And honestly, these places aren't really authentic; there's plenty of Egyptian influence (gamoosa burgers, anyone?).
  • If we didn't do this earlier, visit duty free and grab some alcohol. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that archaeologists like their booze and when you're in a Muslim country, you stock up when, where, and how you can.
Whatever of that doesn't get done today will get done tomorrow. We then leave for Edfu on the 8th and start the season on the 9th! Don't worry if you don't hear from me for a few days: internet can be tricky at first.