Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 1


We had our first day on site today and it’s pretty much exactly as I remember it. The block yard is going to be a bigger project than I had imagined, but I think Jonathan and I will slowly start to figure it out. All of the blocks are currently sitting where we want the mastabas to go, so we need to move them all out of the way. As long as they’re being moved, we want to start separating them into piles, so we have colored flags that we’re going to tag each one so our workers know what pile they should move them to.

Jon and me, discussing the block yard.

It was a short day today since no real digging or anything was going on. We got all the boxes with equipment out of our storage area and Tasha, Lindsey, and Aaron started pulling boxes of pottery out of the temple pylon. It’s pretty hot here (90*F/32*C in the house currently), so we didn’t want to over-do it on the first day. Normally, we’ll work until 2pm, with some of us staying to finish up drawings and epigraphy until 4. Now that we’re back at the house, we’ll eat lunch and Jonathan and I will probably start figuring out some more logistics. I know I promised that I would tell you more about the house, but I want to get some pictures first. Just know that I took a hot shower today and could stand the whole time AND I had my choice of bathrooms, since there are 2! I know! Living the life of luxury all up in here. The mosque is literally right out our bedroom window, so that hour of prayer in the morning is a bit, um, difficult to sleep through.


The offending mosque.


I’m sure some of you are wondering about my favorite part of the excavation: the kitties. Patches (the calico momma cat who loved food and didn’t mind being picked up) found us almost as soon as we arrived and demanded chin scratches and food. She’s about ½ the size that she was last year, mainly because there are no tourists any more feeding her throughout the day. As for Afrit and Kiri, we saw no sign of them today. We’re hopeful that they will show up later in the week. We had a late morning, so they might have gone in search of shade by the time we showed up. If not, I’m sure the litter of puppies that decided to make their home in our work area will make up for it... Or the ducks, goats, donkey, chickens, and horse that live next door (and bray all night)... Or the dove that has her nest in the bathroom window and watches you while you shower... sigh I’m way too into animals for how many little guys exist around here. Dan, you might be getting that puppy you want!

By the way, there were 2 posts yesterday- I know they posted at about the same time. I should add one person to yesterday’s team list: Aaron! Aaron is joining us from Australia where he’s a grad student who just finished up his MA. He’s come to help Tasha with the pottery drawing since I’ll be working on block yard things most days. He’s super nice and brought us an entire cooler full of Australian chocolate and Pims liquor. I think he can stay :)

Internet is still via USB stick, but I think I should be able to post daily, so stay tuned.