Sunday, October 28, 2012

Back to Edfu


Like I mentioned, we're headed back to Edfu today. I still don't have some of the fun pics from our hike from Aaron, but I can share a few more I do have. Check back this week, when I'll have them for sure and can post some more!

We went to our reis' house (Eslam) last night where we had an amazing authentic Egyptian meal (really my first in the three times I've been here). There was so much food:

Let's see if I remember it all: a whole roasted chicken, a salad of cucumbers and tomatoes, cabbage stuffed with rice, a tagine full of potatoes with tomatoes and goat, goat/sheep all on its own, the most amazing potato/tomato/okra bake, some other kind of large vegetable full of rice, bread, and mulakheya (it's kind of like a pesto, made from the mulakheya plant and oil. it's really gooey and people like it on bread. it's not really my kind of thing.) For dessert, there was bassboussa (the coconut and honey thing) and kunaffa, one of my favorite desserts (it's finely shredded filo dough, drenched in honey and baked). Then there was mint tea. We all had a really good time, even if Kat had been up since 3am and was quite jet-lagged.



For now, it's grabbing some McDonald's (I'm going to try the chicken sandwich wrapped in a pita- they advertise it as "all that meat wrapped in all that culture". Who can resist? Not I, nor my camera- there will be photos!) We picked up a few team members, including Kat (whom I've already introduced) and George, who will only be staying with us for a few days. George is a lawyer from France and got his PhD over his lunch break. I know, I feel like a total slacker now. :P

Me at the Ramesseum. I'm standing between the feet of a statue that is obviously no longer standing. It's all there and you can tell it would have been HUGE!

Janelle, destroyer of temples, made her return. Can you blame me?