Friday, October 19, 2012

A Much-Needed Day Off

I'm feeling better today, thanks for all the concern! I'm not 100% and still feel a bit queasy, but I've kept down breakfast and have spent all morning in bed reading. Hurray for days off! It's not quite as hot today- only a high of 102 outside (though currently only 95 in our bedroom)- so I think that's helping. Tomorrow could be tough, but I can't take the day off because we're having special visitors. Some of the really good epigraphers from Chicago House in Luxor are coming to site tomorrow to help us with our drawings. Jonathan and I had a mini crisis yesterday, feeling like our drawings weren't anywhere near good enough and that it was going to be a big waste of time, since we'd have to throw everything away. Thankfully, Greg found us mid-breakdown and gave us a pep talk. He has a great idea for talking really level photos of the blocks (though that could be easier said than done) and using the photos to help us get more accurate final drawings. We can "ink" what we currently have in Illustrator, then overlay that with our photos and make any corrections necessary to produce some drawings that should be really good. We also decided that at the end of the day, this is kind of a salvage operation, we got no real training other than the 45 minutes we spent in Nadine's office a week before the season, and we're doing this as quickly as possible. So hopefully, Chicago House can tell us that the drawings aren't as bad as we think and give us some pointers for some of the harder ones we'll be dealing with in the upcoming days.

So yes, I'm both physically and mentally feeling better. I'm hoping that another night's sleep will see me good as new. It's amazing how quickly that heat and sun can get to you, and unfortunately, you don't realize it until it's too late. I've been going through 3 liters of water a day just on site and even that wasn't enough to keep me hydrated to the point where my body could handle things. But I know that I'm not the first, nor will I be the last to experience this. The goal will be to try to recognize it sooner and take preventative steps. According to the weather, we should be seeing a 10 degree drop in ambient temps some time this next week, so that should help. Just have to make it through a few more hot ones. We also get a long break next weekend (Wednesday night through Sunday night) for the Eid celebration I mentioned last year. We'll head to Luxor for some much-needed R&R and I can hardly wait!

And now back to my book (and maybe another cold shower). I've gone through 4 books already and am 35% done with the one I started this morning. Thank goodness for the kindle! I really should be doing some dissertation work or something with my day off, but where's the fun and relaxation in that? :P