Saturday, November 10, 2012

We're Going To The Zoo And You Can Come, Too

Woot! I'm now officially down to less than 100 blocks to photograph. I finished up the columns today, which are kind of annoying. For most blocks, we take about 4-6 photos on different settings and move on. But columns have engraving on all sides, so it's typically 25ish photos. Plus I have to level every side (I'm trying my best, Jon, I really am). But I'm sooooo close!

There were a ton of tourists at the temple today, and if you remember last year, I started feeling like I was an exhibit at the zoo. I've decided that the main work area (the Old Kingdom area) is the polar bear: everyone wants to see it, they spend a ton of time there taking lots of photos. The pottery area is the sea lions: no one is really sure what they are or do, but they are next to the polar bears and look official, so photos are taken. Lindsey's area way on the other side of the open-air museum thing is the giraffe: people will go see it if they see the sign saying, "giraffe this way," but they don't seek it out. And me? I'm the rhino. No one comes to the zoo for the rhino, few follow the sign to go see the rhino, and fewer still take photos of the rhino. And you know what? I'm ok with that. I'm okay with the tourists seeing that I'm just one person taking photos of blocks. I'm not Egyptian, I'm not building anything, and I'm doing nothing that they aren't doing themselves.

Jonathan Williams, a delivery of bricks arrived today with your name on them! You filled the entire truck with your donation. I must say, though, that they arrived while we were eating second breakfast and the agonizingly slow dumping had us all super tense. We didn't want any of the bricks to break, the guys didn't want to have to do any work, so it was a super slow cascade of bricks. I kind of feel like you'd be happy that your donation caused so much angst amongst us.

All those bricks are yours, Jonathan. You are awesome-sauce.


How we're using the bricks. I think the middle will be filled with sand.

PS. Yes, Wades and Galiks, I did have "Momma's Taking Us To the Zoo Tomorrow" stuck in my head all day. And if I have to go crazy, you can come too, too, too.