Friday, November 9, 2012

A Day Off For Databases

Today was pretty lazy, what with it being our day off and all. I got up early to talk to the hubby (goodness, I miss that man), then us girls made some scrambled eggs to go with breakfast. It sounds easy, but have you ever used a round-bottom, not non-stick pan that is fully metal and has no handles on a gas stove to cook eggs? We had to hold the side of the pan with a towel to keep it upright while we stirred, but we kept almost catching the towel on fire, so we'd let go of the bowl, only to almost lose the eggs. It was crazy, but thankfully, Kat (who did her undergrad at AUC in Cairo and lived in apartments for several years) was an expert at cooking Egyptian style, so there were no egg casualties.

After breakfast, I came back and read a bit, but also started some dissertation work in earnest. It's not really research per se (though I have been using our library's "scan and deliver" service a lot now that I know about it to build up my "to read" bibliography- you tell them what you want, they scan it and send it to you for FREE, so long as you stay within copyright rules. Brilliant!), but I think I've now built a useable FilemakerPro database to house my pottery info and my terminology research. We'll see what tweaks I need to make to it once I actually start filling it in, but it has me pretty excited to start doing research, so I guess that's good. It has taken something that seemed pretty overwhelming and turned it into something much more manageable. Even though we use it for the block yard, I'm glad I worked as an office assistant a few years ago and got a handle on the variety of things Filemaker could do (I learned things, Toni! Though I do wish I'd paid more attention to how scripts worked...). Again, we'll see what I think once I get going, but seeing as I got a $300 program for free, I'm not going to complain (very much).

I started book 11 this morning and according to my kindle, I'm 30% done and will get another few hours in tonight. Glad I stocked up on Amazon's $0.99 mystery/thriller/crime.