Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Sad Day

Today was a bit of a funk for my mood. I woke up really missing my husband (facilitated by a bad dream involving him). I really love excavation, but I'm really in need of the couch, some popcorn, a movie, and a big ol' Dan cuddle. The team here is amazing- I think we crack up laughing every night- but there's nothing like your loved ones. This year has been harder than last year, I think, but we're in the home stretch!

Aaron also left this morning, adding to the sadness of the day. Sure, we were sad when Jonathan left, but we all know we'll be seeing him back in Chicago. With Aaron, we'll see him next season at the earliest, and that's only if he can swing coming again (you better, Aaron!). That Aussie really grew on me, with his quirky sense of humor, "comically large pants", and ability to blend in so seamlessly with everyone. You'll be missed, Aaron! Have a safe trip home and see ya next season!

What brought up my spirits a bit was that I FINALLY (almost) finished block photos today! I have 2 that I need the ladder for, and about 8 that won't get photos at all this season. They are just way too big to move and are all bunched together in a small area where moving one means moving all. So after discussing it with Greg, we decided that they aren't going anywhere unless someone brings in a backhoe (in which case we have bigger issues). The biggest bummer is that 2 of the ones in that group are from our Saite building, so we'll just have to figure something out next season. Oh well.

The benches are also coming along, too. When we left, they were putting a final layer of water-proofing tar on bench #4, and bench #3 was being prepped for tar treatment tomorrow. Benches #2 and #1 still need some work, but it shouldn't take more than a day or two.



Theoretically, we'll be able to start putting the blocks on top of them early next week. Guess that means I need to figure out where all the blocks are going. Eep!

PS. For all of you wondering, we did have a kitty today and we spent much of the day deciding what we could do with her (ie could one of us take her home, would a worker want her, etc). But late in the afternoon, Kiri showed up and the kitten went NUTS, growling and hissing and wanting a fight. That pretty much put the kabosh on anyone with cats taking her home. Plus, we are pretty sure that she has enough fighting instinct that she should be ok at the temple. So we'll keep feeding her until we leave and hope we see her again next year.