Monday, November 12, 2012

The Wonderful Thing About Kittens


The other day, my husband told me that while I’m away, basically all he does is work and worry. I’m starting to realize he may actually have something to worry about. You see, we found another friend at the front of the temple today. We’d seen her before, but she is really scared of Kiri (rightfully so, Kiri got so territorial this morning we had to kick her out of the work area) so never came back to get food. She’s probably about 2 months old and let us carry her all the way to our work area, purring the whole way, and stayed with us the entire day, usually in someone’s lap:


Or sometimes, on their back.


She’s not the brightest cat and I think there might be something mentally wrong. She has one crossed eye and is really quite stupid. She kept trying to eat the cement the guys were mixing for the water, even though I kept giving her fresh stuff. While the guys didn’t really like her, they tried to be nice since they knew she was under our protection. She was little kitten under-foot until she finally calmed down and stayed with either me or Tasha. I felt bad leaving her, but she seems to capable of at least kind of taking care of herself. All of her whiskers on one side seem to have been burnt off at one point (they are growing back), so she’s managed to make it this far. I wish we could take her back to the US, because she would really make a great lap cat. Even at 2 months, she hardly played at all and was terribly content to just be cuddled, not a good sign for the hardships of living in Egypt. While it’s not impossible to bring her back, no one has the means to care for her back home, so she’ll have to just tough it out here. I guess Dan doesn’t have much to worry about after all. Hopefully, we can fatten her up a bit and help her live a little longer, even if we’re teaching her that humans are ok (not such a good life lesson here, either). Even Greg fell in love:



We're trying to convince him that he needs a cat back in Chicago. He really wants one, but Nadine isn't so keen, seeing as he's gone a lot of the year on excavation.
In other news, you’ll notice that we’re all in long sleeves. The weather change happened hard and fast. It was 74*F in my bedroom this morning. That might not seem cold, but seeing as it was 84 in there yesterday morning, it’s dropping fast. And after days over 100, 70 is down-right freezing. It’s nice to know I won’t be over-heating again, but the frozen fingers in the morning is not something that I missed. Thank goodness for morning tea deliveries :)