Friday, October 21, 2011

Wishy-washy


I know I mentioned telling you about the food here, but I want to wait until I’ve had a little more (and am better acquainted with my new role in its finances). So for now, you get this:

Ever wonder what it’s like to get clean around here? Well, I’ll tell you! Here’s a photo of our bathroom:

Note several things:
1. The stylish blue tile. Caution: EXTREMELY slippery when wet (and it’s wet a lot).

2. The red and green tubs on the side. Our housemen wash clothes for us daily, but they put them in this really scary machine and pour boiling water over them, so anything we don’t want completely destroyed we wash by hand. Also, we wash unmentionables personally, as well.

3. Our wonderful shower tub. Notice anything missing? If you said shower curtain, you get 3 points. If you said showerhead, you get 10 points! The “shower” part is actually that cord hanging down, so it acts more like one of those sink spray things. A curtain would get moldy in a second, so that’s out. We just have to be super careful when not the first to shower that day.

Showers are fast so as to preserve the (very little) hot water we have for the 7 people that must somehow get off an inch of dirt after site every day. For the clothes, basically only they major dirt and dust comes off. So all in all, “squeaky clean” is not the term anyone would apply to us. J

- Dirt Collector

PS. Upon looking at this picture more closely and showing it to the girls, I realize it makes it look a lot worse than it actually is. In context, it’s not really that bad, just takes some a lot of getting used to.

PPS. I couldn’t fit it in our picture, but our toilet is normal. There is a Turkish toilet, which is basically a concrete hole in the ground that we all avoid like the plague. My mother will be happy to know that years of going to Grandma and Papa’s house turned out to be in my favor- no toilet paper can go down the pipes; it all must be thrown in the trash can.