Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pot Sherds and Bat Poop


Remember how I said Thursday was awesome? Well today was DOUBLY awesome! I spent the morning sorting pottery with Tasha. That was just kind of so-so, since I don’t really know what I’m doing and I feel kind of useless putting things into piles only to have her completely re-do them.

We had THREE cats this morning and the mom, Patches, was soooooo cuddly because she wanted way more food than I was willing to give her. I got to pet Kiri, the same cat I saw last year, but she gave up on getting another handful of food much sooner than her greedy momma. Another one of last year’s kittens came for food, but he was very skittish and only stuck around long enough to get his food. Oh, you’d like to see pictures of them? Well, I was going to do a whole post on them (and still probably will...several times), but here’s a sneak preview:

Pretty Kiri


Patches (she reminds me of Koda)

After second breakfast, Greg and Nadine took me to a part of the site that is on the complete other side of the tell. It’s a bakery installation and has tons and tons of bread moulds! I have a really awesome idea for a dissertation, it’s just going to mean a few more years of coming to Edfu, and maybe spending a week or two on another dig to look at their stuff. I’m really excited, but I need to talk to Dan to see how feasible something this big is going to be for our marriage...

Once I got done drooling over all the fun bread things, Tasha, Susan, Nadine and I braved the pylon to get some of our old pottery from pervious years. A pylon is kind of the huge entrance gate of the temple. When you google Egyptian temples, it’s pretty much that huge trapezoid that forms the front of the temple. There were tons of boxes in a hot, tiny room full of bat poop (though the bats that produced the poop were very adorable). We thought the boxes would have been stacked in a certain order, but it turns out that of the 150ish boxes in the room, the ones we needed were in the back corner, behind and order all of the others. Needless to say, it took a bit to get what we needed. Oh, and did I mention there was no light, so we were all holding up our cell phones to be able to see? I’ve pretty much decided that I like getting dirty when it’s not super hot and humid outside.

I spent the rest of the workday drawing a few sherds that Tasha wanted done. They were actually pretty good and I only had to re-do one of them when Tasha said it didn’t look quite right. See? I’m working hard!
It took even me a minute to realize who this was.


I’ll spend this afternoon reading, then it’s dinner time, bed, and up at 5am to do it all again tomorrow. Sunday-Thursday Tasha has permission to stay until 4 instead of the normal 1:30. I’ll probably stay with her most days, so posts might end up later.

- Bat poop Treader

PS. I’m learning quite a bit of Arabic, but unfortunately the only words I can remember are stupid ones: mosquito, teddy bear, cat, and okay.