Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My first day on site


I visited the site for the first time today, and while there are so many things I saw and did, the most pressing thing on my mind is a (slightly modified) lyric from Simon and Garfunkle:
“Hello insomnia, my old friend. You’ve come to bother me again.”

Last night after running a few errands and having dinner, we all climbed into bed around 9:30. I wish I could say I then promptly fell asleep, only to be awoken by my 5am alarm. But alas. 11- still awake. 12:45- still awake. 1:10- still awake. I finally took a sleeping pill then, but I still saw 3:30am on my alarm clock before falling asleep only to have the call to prayer wake me at 4 something. Then it was up to be on site at 6am.

The site is really cool and Nadine gave us a tour today. There are several levels and layers that they are excavating and I got to see where everything was located, including some of the things I’d read in the old French report.

After the site tour, we had our “second breakfast”, which is local sandwiches. I’ll write a post about the food once I get a little more in me. Then, while everyone else was getting set up, Lindsey, Susan and I headed for the temple that is literally steps away since Susan has never been to Egypt before.

Since it was only the first day and not everything was ready to go, we ended early and were home by 1pm. Lunch was next on the list.

I’m currently writing while waiting for my turn in the shower, then it is nap time! I don’t think I’ve ever so looked forward to taking a nap. A long day in the sun on 1.5hrs of sleep weakens even those with high stamina.

This is probably the time I’ll be able to write every day, though once we get to drawing, I’ll move from a play-by-play of my day and into more topical posts. So stayed tuned, there’s much to come.

- Sleepy kitty, over and out.

PS. Remember how I said Friday and Saturday were weekend days? I lied. It’s only Friday that we get off. Hurray 6-day workweeks.

PPS. We’re still working on the internet situation. For now, Nadine has a USB stick that connects to internet via the cell-phone network. It works ok, but everyone is sharing it and since we don’t want our computers to fry, we run off of battery. This means I can’t just pop on the internet any time I want, because it involves getting the stick and starting up my computer. We’re working on it. J