Sunday, October 23, 2011

16 Tons And What Do You Get?


Oh my, today was long. I don’t mean that I was tired and we worked hard and so the day dragged on, I mean that today was long because Tasha and I stayed until 4 instead of our normal 1:30 (oh yes, a few Aleve are on tap for tonight). I got 18 drawings done today- not a record, but Tasha was pleasantly surprised when I gave her my final total. I took a picture of my first full page of drawings for you. It didn’t turn out very well since we do them in pencil, but oh well:



Since basically all I did today was draw, it was pretty boring. I did oversee something pretty cool, though. Have you ever watched one of those Discovery Channel shows where they try to figure out how the pyramids were built? Sure “lame-stream archaeology” will tell you that they used wooden rollers and ramps. But come on, those blocks are huge and there’s no way a human could do it (must be aliens!). To them I show this picture:

Yes, the blocks are about half the size of a lot of the Giza ones. Yes, they only moved about 10 today and a lot more would have had to be moved daily in ancient times. Yes, they were a little uncoordinated. But they prove the concept! Our guys were moving a bunch of blocks out of the way of the Old Kingdom area I’ll hopefully get to excavate. :)

- Crack-pot theory buster

PS. I got hurt today. Nothing serious, I just rammed my arm into a stake poking out of a wall. I have a nice red/purple/blue bruise now. Hopefully that’s the worst that happens this trip! Insha’Allah (“God willing”), as they say here.