Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

It’s Thanksgiving in America today, a day where we give thanks for what we have in life. So today, even though I'm in Luxor, Egypt, I wanted to share with you what I’m thankful for.

Let’s start with things I’m thankful I brought to Egypt:
* mattress pad (I think I’ve already discussed how this is saving my back)
* ipod (for the long trips to Luxor and when I’m alone drawing pottery)
* kindle (1000 books at my fingertips without having to pack 1000 books)
* long-sleeved shirts (remember the cold thing?)
* a super awesome work team (these people rock my socks and I’m glad I’m working with/for them)

Egypt isn’t all bad. How about things I’m thankful are here:
* the guys we brought from Luxor (they are a great group that would do anything for us)
* ketchup and soda with real sugar!
*Egyptian honey (oh dear, it’s amazing)
* crazy tourists (the number that walk around in completely ridiculous outfits is amazing)
* super awesome history
* balconies in every room (we don’t even have one in Chicago)

Now for things I’m thankful exist in abundance in the US:
* hot water with more pressure than a leaky faucet
* shower heads mounted to the wall
* 2-ply toilet paper
* cheeseburgers/ice cream/oreos/pizza/general American junk-food
* reliable internet (with no download/upload limits!)
* cable TV (seriously, how can I watch my daily quota of crappy TV here w/out cable?)
* veterinarians and people who actually take care of their animals
* common sense

And most importantly:
* a husband who is super awesome and lets me leave him for 2 months to dig in the dirt on the other side of the world

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Sorry that I can’t be near family this year, but I love you all and can’t wait to see you in a few weeks!

- Thankful American

PS. Yes, I realize that my list of things I’m glad America has are totally superficial and 1st world. You try living with them for 25 years, only to have to stop them cold-turkey, and tell me you aren’t craving a real bath and ice cream after 2 months. Yes, I’m also thankful we have freedoms and a roof and no religious persecution, etc, etc, but right now I just want to be vain and be able to shave my armpits more often than once per week.

PPS. We'll be checking out of the hotel and driving back to Edfu tomorrow, but I still have something quick for you that should auto-post!