Friday, November 4, 2011

Greetings from Luxor!

Hello from Luxor everyone! We got in last night and are staying at the super swanky Sonesta St. George (we got a really great price- $100/person for 3 nights at a 5-star hotel!). After we got in, we crashed for a bit to take showers in glorious bathrooms. Then we went to dinner at an Italian place, since we were all craving spaghetti with real tomato sauce. Then we called it an early night.

This morning we got up early and headed to the West Bank via ferry (it was only $.15 to cross- much cheaper than a taxi). We have special passes that get us into all of the tombs that are open at the Valley of the Kings, instead of just the 3 tombs you're allowed if you actually buy a ticket to the valley. Unfortunately, only the Ramesside tombs were open, so we got done really early and didn't get to see the ones we really wanted. :( Maybe next time. I'd love to show you pictures, but cameras aren't allowed.

Since KV was super fast, we came back to the East Bank for lunch, then decided that we had plenty of time for Karnak Temple. Cameras are allowed there, see:
Me and the White Chapel. It's in a side open-air museum that Dan and I didn't go to last year. The guard saw we had fancy passes, so he let us actually go inside. It was so pretty!!
Now we're hanging out in our room, taking a break and cooling off. It was very hot today and we're a little burnt out on sun and walking. Tonight we'll go out to dinner with Kat and Tasha (they took a pool day today since they've done the West Bank a million times), then go to the Luxor Museum, which is supposed to be super nice. Plans for tomorrow include: Medinet Habu, Dier el-Medina, a hike over the gebel to Dier el-Bahri, then probably back to the hotel for a dip in the pool.


- Tourist

PS. We have to pay for internet, and it's kind of expensive, so I'm thinking I won't post tomorrow or Sunday (I know, I know, I'm sorry!). I'll have lots to tell you about our hike tomorrow and our trip to our reis' house on Sunday, which I'll tell you all about on Monday. Maybe I'll try to have something automatically post tomorrow.

PPS. Susan took a lot of photos of me at the temple since she has the nice SLR camera. At some point (and it may have to be after I get back when my internet is a lot faster), I'll post a huge dump of photos for you. But for now, the text will have to suffice.