Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Wait Continues

The head of the Egyptian antiquities council decided to resign literally hours before the meeting to decide whether or not we will permits. We're hoping that a new head will be in place sometime next week, who will then approve our permits ASAP. But at the moment, we're in a holding pattern. We won't leave on Oct. 1st as planned, but it's possible we could just get word and go at any time.

Even though I just took my big grad school exams, I still need 1 more "quality grade" (basically, I need to not take a class as Pass/Fail). It can be in anything- I've already done all of the actual requirements, I just have to take 9 classes post-MA and I've only done 8. Digging was supposed to count. So for now, my adviser is going to give me a reading list and assign some papers so that I can leave immediately if needed, but also still get my credit if for some reason we can't go. It's no ideal- I was looking forward to never doing non-dissertation work again. But alas. Gotta do what I gotta do.

I'll give more updates as we know.