Thursday, September 1, 2011

Abbreviations and a History Lesson

As I was writing that last post, I realized I should probably give you a quick breakdown of my abbreviations. I love you all dearly, but not enough to spell out Second Intermediate Period every time. So here's a breakdown of periods (all dates approximate):

OK= Old Kingdom (27th-22nd cent BC)- my favorite and when the pyramids were built
FIP= First Intermediate Period (22nd-21st cent BC)- no unified country, ruled by smaller governors
MK= Middle Kingdom (21st-17th cent BC)- period of unification and prosperity
SIP= Second Intermediate Period (17th-16th cent BC)- period of rule by some Asiatics called the Hyksos
NK= New Kingdom (16th-11th cent BC)- it's got your Ramses (all 11 of them) and your Hatshepsut

I'll try to explain my other abbreviations (if I have any) as I go, but for now, this should help. Please ask me in the comments if I ever say anything that has you confused :)