Friday, December 2, 2011

The Secrets of the Pyramids


Today was our day off, but our inspector graciously took us on a tour of some other sites in the area! I can’t go into detail about some of them on here (which is a pity, but alas, I don’t want my career to stop before it ever starts!). But there are 2 things I can discuss!

The first is the pyramid at Kulla (sp?). It’s not much to look at, honestly, just kind of a big pile of poorly-put-together stones:



The pyramid dates to the Old Kingdom and is part of a series of what are known as “provincial pyramids” which are found throughout Upper Egypt (including Edfu). They include no burial chambers and no grave goods, but might have been constructed for the king’s spirit. Greg and Hratch are working on the one at Edfu (we get to see it tomorrow) and hope to find out more about these odd structures. What’s neat about the Kulla one is that there was a robber’s hole dug into one of its faces, so you can go “inside” the pyramid and actually see how it was built. The stones where actually laid at a slant, against the ones more to the inside. This was also how the Step Pyramid of Djoser at Saqqara was built.
I know it's hard to see the different layers, but you can see the slant, at least, and how they lean on each other.

After our afternoon romping, we invited Osama back to the house (in return for him letting us have tea in his office) and he spent some time telling jokes and mocking certain ex-SCA members. It was a lot of fun- he’s really, really funny.

It was a great day and I wish I could share more with you, but alas. As I said, tomorrow we’ll visit the Edfu pyramid. I won’t be able to post photos of that, either, but I can tell you about it!

- Secret Keeper